Self care, little indulgences and a wholistic approach

 Savouring Simple Daily Pleasures



The Luxury of Looking After Yourself

There is something wonderfully indulgent about climbing into freshly washed bed linen with a good book while rain taps softly against the windows.

No plans. Nowhere to be. Just that delicious feeling of knowing the evening is entirely your own.

For me, these are the moments that remind me that self-care doesn't have to mean booking an expensive treatment or spending an afternoon at a spa. Sometimes it is as simple as freshly washed hair, clean sheets and taking the time to apply your makeup without rushing. Investing in quality supplements and good nutritious food.  Spending 30 or 40 minutes stretching or practising yoga. Other times, it might be a little splurge — like the massage I've booked for tomorrow.

I think the real luxury is having the freedom to choose what feels good to you.



Self-care doesn't have to cost a thing

We often talk about self-care as though it comes with a price tag, but some of the loveliest rituals are completely free.

A quiet evening at home can be incredibly restorative. Putting your phone away, making a cup of tea, changing into your favourite pyjamas and settling down with a book can feel like a reset button after a busy week.

Even washing your hair can become a small pleasure when you stop treating it as another task to tick off your list. Take your time. Enjoy the warmth of the shower. Let your freshly washed hair dry while you potter around the house.

And there is something particularly lovely about getting ready when you don't have to be anywhere.

Applying makeup slowly, rather than frantically trying to get out the door, changes the whole experience. Put on your favourite products, take your time with them and enjoy the little ritual of it.

Self-care can simply be not rushing.



Make the everyday feel a little more luxurious

Sometimes it isn't about buying anything new; it's about changing the way we experience what we already have.

I love arranging my beauty products so that getting ready feels a little more spa-like. Decanting things, tidying bottles, displaying the products I actually use and keeping everything clean and organised can make an ordinary bathroom feel surprisingly luxurious.

Then there are those tiny sensory pleasures that cost almost nothing.

A spritz of a favourite fragrance.

Fresh towels.

A candle burning while you get ready for bed.

The first page of a new book.

Clean pyjamas.

Freshly laundered sheets.

These little moments are easy to overlook because they are ordinary. But perhaps that is precisely what makes them so wonderful. We don't always need a grand gesture to feel cared for.



Turn your shower into a treatment

A shower can be much more than something you squeeze into between everything else.

Every now and then, I love turning it into a proper at-home treatment.

A luxurious body scrub, warm water, freshly washed hair and a favourite soap can make the simplest shower feel like a mini spa appointment. Occasionally I'll use a shower steamer too, as I received a box of them as a gift I'm eeking out to last.

There is something deeply satisfying about exfoliating, rinsing everything away and stepping out with soft, moisturised skin.

And if you have a little more time, why not put on a face mask afterwards?

You don't have to spend an hour on an elaborate beauty routine. Even fifteen minutes can feel like a pause button.



The bubble-bath kind of evening

Then there are evenings when only a bath will do.

Run the water, add bubbles or salts, put on some music and leave the outside world where it belongs — outside the bathroom door.

A bath doesn't have to be productive. You don't need to listen to a podcast, answer messages or learn something while you're in there.

You can simply soak.

I think we've become so accustomed to filling every spare moment that doing absolutely nothing can feel almost rebellious.

Sometimes self-care is allowing yourself to be gloriously unproductive.



At-home treatments can be surprisingly satisfying

There are also plenty of beauty rituals that sit somewhere between everyday pleasure and a proper splurge.

I love doing little treatments at home, whether that's using red light therapy, tinting my own eyebrows or giving myself a longer-than-usual skincare routine.

There is a particular satisfaction in knowing how to do some of these things yourself. Not only can it save money, but it means you can build them into your routine whenever it suits you. We live out of town, so sometimes having to go somewhere a drive away takes the luxury out of the experience.

And there is something quite lovely about becoming your own beauty therapist for an evening.

Put everything you need within reach. Make yourself comfortable. Turn the bathroom into your little treatment room.

You might be surprised how luxurious home can feel.



Choosing where to spend

Of course, there are times when spending money on yourself feels completely justified.

The trick, for me, is deciding what is actually worth spending on.

Tomorrow, I've booked myself a massage — and I already know I'm going to enjoy every minute of it. Even getting there.

There is something different about having someone else take care of you for an hour. You don't have to prepare anything, perform the treatment yourself or think about what's next. You simply lie there and let someone else do the work.

For someone else, that might be the hair salon.

For another person, it might be getting their nails done.

It could be a facial, a pedicure, a beautiful piece of skincare or something completely unrelated to beauty.

The point isn't that we should all spend money on the same things. It's about working out which experiences genuinely make you feel cared for.

I'd much rather occasionally spend money on something I really look forward to than constantly buy little things that don't actually add much to my life.

A massage I will remember feels far more luxurious to me than another bottle of something sitting unopened in the bathroom cabinet.



There is no right way to self-care

Perhaps the most important thing is that self-care doesn't need to look a particular way.

It doesn't have to be expensive.

It doesn't have to be aesthetic.

It doesn't have to involve candles, silk robes or a perfectly organised bathroom.

It can be a $0 evening curled up in bed with a book.

It can be a bubble bath.

It can be tinting your eyebrows at home.

It can be taking twenty minutes to do your makeup when normally you only have five.

It can be washing your hair and enjoying how lovely it feels afterwards.

It can be your favourite fragrance sprayed onto your wrists simply because you like the smell.

Or it can be booking the massage you've been thinking about all week.

Self-care is really just a way of saying: I matter too.

And perhaps on a rainy Saturday night, with fresh sheets, a book and nowhere else to be, that can be enough.

Tonight, I'm choosing the simple version.

Tomorrow, I'm choosing the massage.

Both count.



0 $type={blogger}