Approaching lifes changes and seasons

 Savoring simple daily pleasures



As I sit here today, with some home made chicken soup simmering on the stove, feeling like a head cold is brewing, and the wind that's gathering force outside has finally got a true autumnal nip to it, I am reflecting on thoughts I had during a long, and very sunny walk I took yesterday morning. 



For the last few years, and more intently the last 12 months or so, I have been mindful to enjoy and appreciate what each day brings, to savor the little things, to appreciate the mundane as even that is not forever, to take a moment to step back and see my children blossoming, and likewise my parents aging- although both are incredibly fir and active and healthy for their ages, to have deep love and gratitude for my husband whos been by my side for well over 20 years now. In taking the time to slow and allow these thoughts, I also see how fast my girls are becoming young women, that the little dots in tutus at kindergarten, or snuggled up for stories after a bath, seems to have been so recently. And yet.... One is talking of learning to drive, of college, career paths, moving away. Soon they will be so much more independent even than now, which led me to my ponderings on my recent walk. 



As heart wrenching as it can be for a parent to observe and encourage their children to grow, be strong and flourish, its incredibly challenging to be selfless enough to give them the wings to fly , and watch them take off and soar- with out you, with their own hurdles to overcome, their own drive and life to lead- where you may not be their first confidant or port of call any longer. But this is how it should be, and if I have done my job well, they will continue to soar, learn, succeed and grow. 

Our responsibilities change and adapt, and are constantly fine tuning to their growing-up needs- as they will always. 

I even had a little tummy turner as I imagined a life where we knew our girls were happy, safe and content, and we also had adventures, weekends away, impromptu dinner out, and a completely different structure and feel to our days. Will the house seem huge? Quiet? Tidy!? Will my housework and laundry be vastly reduced. Will I finally have time for the garden to truly bloom and be cared for, will they regularly bumble home for home baking, a favorite dinner, a shoulder to cry on, a hug, to introduce a special someone?

I hope so. 

This is not immanent. But its a time that is fast approaching. So I wish to be mindful of all the moments together before this- even the cross words, the not- so- great decisions, the firsts and the lasts. The twinkle in my youngest eye as she throws an arm around my shoulder to remind me she is now taller than me! 


It leaves us in a juxtaposition- reminiscing about days long gone, and anticipating the days and years ahead. Its a tricky place to be as a parent. I can well imagine a little empty nest syndrome may creep in at some point (That's when I'll finally get my DOG!) 


None of us know what the future holds. So savor and see the joy in every day and all the little details. 

It doesn't mean we cant plan or look forward to future plans and endeavors. But don't rush. These days wont every come around again. Much like stuffing the stockings at midnight when your utterly exhausted and KNOW there will be an unearthly early start on Christmas morning- one day they'll sleep in late, the magic will fade a little, and you'll wish you'd bottled that sparkling children's magic and wonder. 



A family Saturday morning Brunch today was a perfect little moment to spend time together, enjoy delicious food, and come home to (Make soup!) garden, wash cars and bake. Jostling cozily along with nowhere we have to be, just allowing our Saturday to unfold and rejuvenate us. 

Perfect. 



Comments

Popular Posts